The 2021 Summer Reading Challenge is here!
June 28 – August 19
What’s happening this Summer?
- Take on the Summer Reading Challenge and track how much you read this summer!
- Join us on the Library Lawn for programs and guest presenters, including four-legged creatures. *
- View a variety of virtual programs on the BPL Facebook page – stories and craft tutorials.
- Create and build with Grab ‘n’ Go Kits.
*In-person programs require pre-registration, wearing masks, and staying a safe distance apart.
Summer Reading Challenge
The 2021 Summer Reading Challenge is open to patrons of all ages!
Children (ages 1 – 11) – Have a parent or guardian register you for the Summer Reading Challenge and pick up your starter bag with some goodies and your tracking chart. Then t read to yourself, read to someone else (including your pet), or have someone read to you, and track your minutes on your chart. One (1) sticker equals 20 minutes of reading. Additional charts are available at the library, if you need them. During the last week of August, let us know your TOTAL number of reading minutes – stop in the library for a certificate, new book, and prizes!
Teens & Tweens (ages 12-17) – Register for the Summer Reading Challenge and pick up your starter bag with some goodies and your Bingo board and tracking charts. For Bingo: get a “Bingo” by reading five books that make a row, then each time you get a “Bingo” stop by the library to pick up a prize. For each book read, fill out a slip (available at the circulation desk) to be entered into the Summer Reading Challenge Finale prize drawing. During the last week of August, let us know your TOTAL number of reading minutes – stop in the library for a prize!
Adults (ages 18+) – Register for the Summer Reading Challenge and start reading! Once you’ve completed a book, come to the library to fill out an entry slip: one slip per book. Each slip will earn you a chance to participate in the Summer Reading Challenge Finale prize drawing!
TO REGISTER : Call the library at 585-657-6264 or email email@example.com with participant name(s), age(s), parent/guardian name, and phone number. Or stop by the library in-person, during hours of operation.
Library Lawn Programs
Registration is required for all Library Lawn Programs, to help track attendance and maintain appropriate capacities. Masks and maintaining safe distances may be required. Please bring a blanket or chairs.
- Wegmans ZooMobile! Tuesday, June 29, at 11 a.m. Meet 4 zoo creatures; learn about what they eat, where they live.
- Pet Tales Parade! Thursday, July 8, at 1:30p.m. Young children show off their stuffed animal friends and hear animal tales.
- Friday Night PJs! Friday, July 16, at 6 p.m. Animal stories and movement songs for the whole family. PJs and blankets welcome.
- Wild Safari Hunt! Thursday, July 22, at 1:30 p.m. Make your own binoculars and hunt the library grounds for safari animals (photos).
- Tie-Dye Family Event! Thursday, August 5, at 1:30 p.m. Stop in the library anytime between 1:30pm and 3:00pm and bring a 100% cotton t-shirt or other small cotton item to tie-dye at the library!
- Alpaca Goes to the Library! Monday, August 9, at 3 p.m. Meet our special furry guest from Lazy Acre Alpacas.
- Friday Night PJs! Friday, August 13, at 6 p.m. Animal stories and movement songs for the whole family. PJs and blankets welcome.
- FINALE! Thursday, August 19, at 6 p.m. Stop in the library anytime between 6:00pm and 7:30pm to celebrate summer with craft stations, activities, and special surprises! Fun for the whole family!
TO REGISTER: Go to Our Event Calendar on our website, open the event for which you would like to register, click “Begin Registration” at the bottom of the event page, and complete the registration; be sure to include everyone who will be attending the event. To register by phone, call the library at 585-657-6264.
Tails & Tales! Virtual Story Time for Young Children – Why do horses swish their tails? What animal hangs from its tail? Let’s find out! Join Miss Robin and special guests for stories, songs, and rhymes about all kinds of creatures. Story Time video will be posted to Bloomfield Public Library’s Facebook page, Tuesdays at 11am, July 6 – August 3.
Grab ‘n’ Go Kits
Grab ‘n’ Go Kits and activities will be available at the library throughout the summer for Children, Teens, and Adults.
Check the library regularly to see what’s new and available!
As of June 15,2021 the library requires masking and social distancing inside the library and at library sponsored events. As New York State mandated restrictions continue to be reduced or dropped, the library may update requirements for entering the building and/or attending library sponsored events.