We realize how much you and your children look forward to the Summer Reading Program. We do, too! While getting together in person is limited for now, we have a great program planned with online story sessions and online craft activities, along with the materials and goodies that past participants know and love. To help keep our community safe and healthy, we have planned a minimal number of in-person pickups of Summer Reading Program materials. We want to stay in touch, so please join us in using social media for this unique situation.
All ages are welcome to participate. The online programs, including story sessions and craft activities, can be enjoyed by persons of any age.
Register now. See directions below for options. Registration is open until mid- August; however, Starter Bags and craft kits are in limited supply.
Pick up SRP STARTER BAG during the first full week of July (be sure to complete registration first)
Start reading now; jot down minutes spent reading/listening on Track-Your-Reading Minutes Calendar
Online programs air on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, July 14- August 13 (Programs will be available to view through August)
Check-In Checkpoint! The week of July 27-31 – Let us know your Reading Minutes progress AND pick up the Make-It-Magical craft kit.
Late August – Celebration & Certificate (details coming)
WHAT & WHY:
Online Story Sessions with Miss Robin,
Children and youth of any age are invited to enjoy any sessions as often as they like. Online programs will be available for viewing through late August.
- “Once Upon a Time” for 3-7 yrs (pre-school-2nd gr), Tuesdays, 10:00 a.m.
- Featuring stories, songs, rhymes, and pretend play to encourage using imagination and introduce a love for literacy. Example: Reading The Pied Piper’s Magic, “playing” a magic flute made from a paper towel tube
- “Tales with a Twist” for 7-10 yrs (2nd-5th gr), Thursdays, 10:00 a.m.
- Book talks, puzzles/guessing games, and drawing drills to stretch the imagination and enhance literacy skills. Example: Reading from Stinky Cheese Man, creating fairy tale MadLibs
- “Sleepyheads Story Time” for the whole family–Friday, July 31, 7:00 p.m.
- A time to gather stuffed animal friends for classic (and gentle) fairy tales and new and familiar bedtime songs.
Online Crafts Demonstrations with Miss Elizabeth,
“Make-It-Magical!” Online Craft Demonstrations for general audiences, Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. Most supplies needed are found at home or can be purchased at a discount store. Participants are welcome to improvise and produce unique results! BPL will provide specific supplies in a Make-It-Magical kit for craft sessions scheduled at a later date in the program.
Track-Your-Reading Minutes Calendar,
Track-Your-Reading Minutes Calendar – Daily jot down the minutes spent reading/listening. BPL encourages participants to enjoy a variety of materials, including books at different reading levels and genres, audiobooks, and the BPL Story Sessions.
Celebration & Certificate
Celebration & Certificate – We’ll celebrate each participant with a snazzy certificate and a special gift! (More information coming.)
The SRP Online Programs will be posted on the Bloomfield Public Library Facebook page. Find us, like us, visit us frequently for updates!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
Registration is now open!
- Call the library during hours of operation at 585-657-6264 to provide basic information about each child being registered. Note: Check the BPL website as hours change. (Please do not leave a message; call back when the library is open.)
- Email the library with SRP REGISTRATION in the subject line. Include in the message: Each child’s first and last name, age, last grade completed, parent’s first and last name, phone number, and email address (optional). You will receive a confirmation email. Library email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pick up the SRP Starter Bag (1 per registered child). Beginning early July, SRP Starter Bags will be bundled and labeled by parent’s name and placed in the lobby. Please pick up only for registered participants.
We also have a special opportunity for the first 20 families who register – a magical creature metal garden stake to plant in your garden at home or at in one of the mulched beds at the library!
What’s in the SRP Starter Bag? Lots of fun tools to help readers reach their goals, such as: The Track-Your-Reading Minutes Calendar, stickers to decorate the calendar, schedule of online programs, bookmark, coloring booklet, and cool surprises!
7/30/2020 Update: The MAKE IT MAGICAL Summer Reading Craft Kits are ready to pick up in the library lobby! Get the whole family involved in designing and constructing a castle. Each kit contains a variety of supplies to get started, including cardboard, colored paper tissue squares, beads and craft stones, and more. The rest is up to the imagination!
Please call the library to schedule your pickup time: 585-657-6264. Note: We do ask that you complete a brief survey form (pertaining to Summer Reading participation) in the lobby. Craft kits will be available as long as supplies last; 1 per family.