The Bloomfield Public Library is asking residents of the Bloomfield Central School District to vote on the library’s 2021-2022 funding. The library is asking voters to vote on a $179,800 tax levy, which represents a $8,050 increase from the 2020-2021 fiscal year. In order to maintain the current level of library services and to plan for the future, the library needs to be able to keep up with the necessary COVID-19-related safety precautions and State mandated wage increases.
Details for the 2021-2022 Bloomfield Public Library Budget can be found here:
If the vote PASSES, what can be expected?
- The library will continue to purchase new materials, including bestsellers, movies, ebooks, Teen and Children’s materials, and magazines.
- The library will be able to maintain and expand offerings of programming events and classes for all ages, including early literacy and summer reading programs.
- The library will maintain the current level of computer and internet access, tutoring, and meeting room availability.
If the Vote FAILS, what can be expected?
- Fewer new books, ebooks, movies, and magazines will be purchased.
- Longer wait times on hold items.
- The library’s service hours will be reduced.
- Programing events and classes will be cut for adults, teens, and children and technology help may be reduced.
- Computer and internet access, tutoring and meeting room availability may all be negatively impacted
The proposed budget enables us to continue serving the Bloomfield community in a fiscally responsible manner, while reflecting our mission to educate and enrich by providing essential resources and opportunities.
There are three candidate names on the ballot for four open Bloomfield Public Library Board of Trustees seats. The Board of Trustees is a policy-making body that guides the development of the library and its services. Elected Trustees serve on the Board for terms of 3-years. The names of the three candidates are as follows:
- Karen Steiner
- Amy Williams
- Sarah Didas
Resolutions for the Library’s budget and trustee election will be included in the Bloomfield Central School District vote. A copy of these resolutions is available here:
- Tuesday, May 11, 2021, at 7 pm – Bloomfield Public Library’s 2021-2022 Budget Presentation will be held virtually via GoToMeeting. Contact the library for details on attending.
- Tuesday, May 18, 2021 from 7am-8pm – Bloomfield Central School District Vot in the MS/HS Back Gallery.