Position Available: Library Manager, Bloomfield Public Library, Bloomfield, NY
The Bloomfield Public Library is chartered to serve the Bloomfield Central School District, a district with approximately 6,600 residents. The position of Library Manager requires a strong combination of management, leadership, and vision. It calls for an energetic, innovative, and community-oriented person. The candidate for this position must be passionate about the ever-changing public library environment, eager to embrace community involvement, and demonstrate the ability to help the Library make a difference in our community.
Position: Full time, consisting of approximately 35 to 37.5 hours per week, including some evenings and Saturdays.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the Board of Trustees (“Board”), Pioneer Library System, its member libraries, Friends of the Library, and community organizations.
- Plan, evaluate, and oversee all Library collection, development, and management in accordance with collection policies and best practices.
- Manage library personnel including hiring, scheduling, and performance evaluations.
- Actively promote community visibility and involvement.
- Develop and implement policies and programs in collaboration with the Board.
- Prepare annual budget recommendations for Board approval; control expenditures of funds and revenue collection; maintain accurate financial records.
- Gather and compile data for reports and other pertinent information for Board meetings; attend Board and other meetings as required by position.
- Prepare and review statistical and analytical reports of activities, operations, and procedures as required.
- Communicate and facilitate relations with local government entities and other organizations within the Bloomfield Central School District regarding library operations.
- Develop and implement long range plans in collaboration with the Board to support and promote the mission of the library, and meet community needs.
Demonstrated experience in managing public library personnel and budgets. Proven leader with excellent organizational, interpersonal, problem solving, and project management skills. Creative thinker who enthusiastically pursues new ideas and delivers highest quality services to the community. High level of familiarity with emerging technologies and social media. Ability to participate in professional library associations, conferences, seminars, and network committees, virtually or in person. Strong commitment to community relations.
Candidates must have the ability to plan and organize multiple priorities effectively and efficiently. Candidates must be resourceful and creative as an approach to relationship building and problem-solving. Candidates must be aware of current trends in public library services, especially in adult services, digital collections, and resource sharing. Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and computer skills are required. Candidates must possess a willingness to serve as the library liaison to the community.
A bachelor’s degree is required, in a related field preferred. A minimum of three years of relevant professional experience is required, preferably working in a public library, including at least two years at a supervisory level.
This is a provisional appointment, contingent upon your obtaining any necessary approvals from the Ontario County Civil Service. If you accept this provisional offer of employment, the following terms and conditions would apply:
1. Job description -set forth in attachment, including essential duties and leadership skills.
2. Full time position consisting of approximately 35 to 37.5 hours per week, including some evenings and Saturdays.
3. Start Date- to be mutually determined; must complete Civil Service examination.
4. Compensation – The salary range is $20-$23 hourly; $40,000 – $45,000 annually; based upon experience.
5. Benefits – In accordance with our policies and after meeting applicable eligibility requirements:
a. Paid vacation – years 0-3, 2 weeks; years 4-10, 3 weeks; years over 10, 4 weeks.
b. Paid holidays – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day.
c. Paid personal time – 5 days annually.
d. Paid sick time – 5 days annually.
e. Paid bereavement leave – 2 days annually, for immediate family, aunts, uncles.
f. Paid education and training (2000 maximum annually) as follows:
Course grade Library Contribution
• A 100%
• B 90%
• C 80%
• D, E, F 0%
g. Retirement – You would be eligible to participate in the 403(B) Defined Contribution Plan that BPL has established with Canandaigua National Bank Wealth Management. If you choose to participate, BPL would contribute 4% of your annual wages.
Your employment would not be for a defined duration of term, and it is understood that your employment is voluntary in nature, is employment-at-will, and may be terminated by you or BPL at any time, except to the extent otherwise provided by applicable Ontario County Civil Service requirement.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.