Bloomfield Public Library

Library Renovation!

Posted by mprak on

The Bloomfield Public Library building remains closed to the public due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, we will be able to take advantage of this opportunity to move forward with our planned renovation project, which was originally scheduled to begin earlier this year. The purpose of this interior renovation is to make the library more accessible and to complete needed updates.

Much has changed since the library building was completed and opened at 9 Church Street in 1988. In that time the library has not embarked on any significant internal renovation projects. The original workstations for public computers are located in the center of the library where the original card catalogs had been. The public computer stations are not designed with accessibility in mind and offer no privacy to users. The main circulation desk, also in the center of the library, is designed as a standing desk only and is not usable to patrons with accessibility needs or children.

This project will relocate the public computers to a counter area that will be much more private, have fewer distractions, and will accommodate workstation chairs or wheelchairs. The project will also replace the current circulation desk with a new desk that provides both a standing station as well as an ADA accessible station.

Making these changes will necessitate the replacement of the current flooring and some painting. Once this project is complete, the library will be more accessible, easier for all patrons and staff to use, and offer more privacy for computer users.

In 2018 the library applied for a New York State Construction Aid Grant. We received funding from the state to cover 75% of the project. The remaining 25% of the planned project cost will be supplied by a fund set aside over the past years by the library Board of Trustees for construction purposes. The 2020-2021 proposed budget increase has no bearing on this project.

The original project timeline was interrupted by New York State on PAUSE and the subsequent library building closure. Our updated aim is to complete much of the renovation work while the library remains closed to the public and have patron services resume in accordance with the library’s reopening plans. During the closure and renovation project, our top priority will be, as always, the health and safety of patrons, staff, and contractors.

We look forward to seeing you in person and sharing the newly renovated library with you as soon as possible!

Comments are closed.

  • Hours

    Mon: 2PM-8PM
    Tues: 10AM-4PM
    Wed: 2PM-8PM
    Thurs: 10AM-4PM
    Fri: 2PM - 6PM
    Sat: 10AM - 2PM

  • Find Us

  • Get in Touch

    9 Church Street
    Bloomfield, NY 14469
    (585) 657-6264
    bloomfieldlibrarydirector@owwl.org


    Facebook