The Bloomfield Public Library is asking residents of the Bloomfield Central School District to vote on the library’s 2020-2021 funding. The library is asking voters to vote on a $171,750 tax levy, which represents a 4.09 % overall budget increase from the 2019-2020 fiscal year. The library has not asked voters for an increase in the tax levy since becoming a school district public library in 2018. This increase in the library tax will be approximately $0.02 per $1,000 of assessed value.
The library has operated at the same budgetary level since 2018, while in that same timeframe the minimum wage rates have increased approximately 13%. In order to maintain the current level of library services and to plan for the future, the library needs to be able to keep up with State mandated wage increases.
If the vote PASSES, what can be expected?
- The library will continue to purchase new materials, including bestsellers, movies, ebooks, YA and Children’s materials, and magazines.
- The library will be able to expand offerings of programming events and classes for all ages, including early literacy and summer reading programs.
- The library will maintain the current level of computer and internet access, tutoring, and meeting room availability.
- The library will continue to collaboration with schools and community organizations.
If the Vote FAILS, what can be expected?
- Fewer new books, ebooks, movies, and magazines will be purchased
- Longer wait times for holds.
- The library’s service hours will be reduced.
- Programing events and classes will be cut for adults, teens, and children and technology help may be reduced.
- Computer and internet access, tutoring and meeting room availability may all be negatively impacted
The proposed budget enables us to continue serving the Bloomfield community in a fiscally responsible manner, while reflecting our mission to educate and enrich by providing essential resources and opportunities.
Important Information about the vote
As per the East Bloomfield Central School District legal notice, in accordance with Executive Order 202.26, at least one (1) absentee ballot shall be provided per household for the 2020 annual meeting. If a household requires additional ballots, please contact the District Clerk at 585-657-6121 extension 4004 or DRobinson@bloomfieldcsd.org. A list of persons to whom absentee ballots have been issued will be available for inspection in the District Clerk’s Office, during regular business hours, during each of the five (5) days prior to the election, except Sundays, and shall also be posted at the door of the polling place(s) on June 9, 2020. Absentee ballots must be received by the District Clerk by 5:00 p.m. on June 9, 2020.